Willem H. Buiter
- Open-economy macroeconomics.
issues in monetary theory: neutrality, price level indeterminacy,
interest rate pegs and fiscal theories of the price level.
finance: intergenerational distribution and insurance properties of
taxation, social security and public debt; local, national and
international public goods; fiscal federalism.
- The theory, empirics and political economy aspects of
optimal currency areas and monetary unions.
- Internal and external aspects of European economic and
- Fiscal policy, trade policy, and the patters of
international and intertemporal trade.
- Endogenous growth, environmental constraints and sustainable
- The theory of monetary policy: institutional design and
robust decision rules.
- Central bank indendence, openness and accountability.
- Financial engineering approaches to the prevention and
mitigation of liquidity crises.
- Monetary policy, fiscal policy and structural reform for
- Stabilization and structural reform in the transition
economies of Central and Eastern Europe.
- Corporate governance, political governance and the
investment climate: lessons from the transition countries.
- The political economy of economic reform.
- Globalisation: technological and political economy
- Local, national, regional and global public goods.
- Economic and political drivers and consequences of financial crises.
- Political and institutional prerequisites of hard budget constraints.