- "Fiscal Capture at the ECB." Project Syndicate, 16 May 2022.
- "The Trouble with Argentina." Project Syndicate, 20 January 2022, with Anne C. Sibert.
- "Is the U.S. Economy Running Out of Slack." Project Syndicate, 28 July 2021.
- "Biden's Fuzzy Tax Math." Project Syndicate, 29 April 2021, with Anne Sibert.
- "Restructuring the Debt-Restructuring Process." Project Syndicate, 24 November 2020, with Anne Sibert.
- "Addressing the Pricing Methodology: Ukraine Can’t Afford to Miss This Chance." Energy Voice, 11 November 2020.
- "Recovering from the EU's Recovery Fund." Project Syndicate, 5 August 2020.
- "A Stronger Recovery Through Better Accounting." Project Syndicate, 26 June 2020, with Ian Ball and Dag Detter.
- "Paying for the COVID-19 Pandemic Will Be Painful." Financial Times, 15 May 2020.
- "Pandemic Socialism." Project Syndicate, 9 April 2020.
- "To Fight the COVID Pandemic, Policymakers Must Move Fast and Break Taboos." Vox, 6 April 2020, with Sony Kapur.
- "Piketty's Latest Charge."Project Syndicate, 13 March 2020.
- "The Wealth and Health of Nations." Project Syndicate, 10 March 2020.
US Corporate Tax Cut Debate." VoxEU, 30 May 2018. With Anne C. Sibert.
Profit Taxes, Capital Expenditure and Real Wages: The Analytics Behind
a Contentious Debate." CEPR Discussion Paper 12932, May 2018. Abstract.With Anne C. Sibert.
- "An Infrastructure Plan That Would Actually Work." Project Syndicate, 2 April 2018. With Dag Detter.
Rate Implications of Border Tax
Adjustment Neutrality." VoxEU, 22 March 2017.
Solution for Household Debt." Article by Jonathan Shapiro based on an interview with me. Australian
15 June 2016.
Stagnation: The Time
One-Armed Policy is Over." VoxEU, 5 June 2015. With Ebrahim Rahbari
Rescue Measures for Stagnant Eurozone." Financial Times, Markets Insight,
30 October 2014. See also here.
Fiscal Sustainability Matters." VoxEU, 10 January 2014.
Risk for EU and Japan." Financial
Times, Markets Insight,
23 September 2013. Should have
been EA (euro area), not EU, but editors ....
Crisis Demands Swift Debt Restructuring." Financial Times, Markets
Insight, 8 May 2013.
Mr. Micawber’s Vindication: Causes and Consequences of Excessive Debt."
Citi GPS, Global Perspectives
& Solutions, November 2012. With Ebrahim Rahbari.
in Rich Nations: What Happens When Sovereigns, Households and Banks
Deleverage at the Same Time?" Powerpoint presentation. Debt of Nations Revisited,
Lecture 1. Frederico Caffè Lectures, Rome, 13–14 December
There a Case for a Further Coordinated Fiscal Stimulus?"
Meeting on the theme: Are the
coordinated stimulus plans working and are they effective? Should we
continue with fiscal stimulus? Are there other approaches to aggregate
demand management? IMAG, New York, 16–17 September 2009.
Regulation and Macroeconomic Stability; Key Issues for the
G20, HM Treasury, London. HM Treasury and the Centre for Economic Policy
Research, 31 January 2009. Published in Mathias
Dewatripont, Xavier Freitas and Richard Portes eds. Macroeconomic
Stability and Financial
Regulation: Key Issues for the G20. Ebook: CEPR, 2009, pp. 79-90.
New Chance to
Raise Gilt Issuance." With Ros Altmann and Jon Moynihan. Financial
Times. Leaders & Letters page, 26 June 2007.
the UK Can be Financed With Taxes that Do not Exceed 33 Per Cent of GDP."
with Anne C. Sibert. Financial Times. Leaders
page, 1 November 2006.
Yields is Like Hunting tigers With Pea-Shooter." Financial
Times. Leaders & Letters page, 26 January 2006.
I Win, Tails I
win' Way to Seek Higher Yields." Financial Times. Leaders & Letters page, 16 January 2006.
to reform the
Stability and Growth Pact," Central Banking,
vol. 13 (February 2003): 49–58.
- "Measuring Fiscal
Sustainability." Mimeo. University of Cambridge, August 1995.
USA; How Much, How Bad and
Who Pays?" Economic Growth Center Discussion Paper No. 684,
Plain Man's Guide
Fiscal and Financial
Policy." With Charles R. Bean. In Conquering Unemployment:
for Economic Growth. Hampshire, UK: Macmillan Press, 1989.
Olivier J. Blanchard and R. Dornbusch. Centre
for European Policy
Studies Papers No. 22, 1985.
Note: If the title of a publication is preceded by an asterisk, then I don't have access to any copy (even a working paper version) that can be made available via this website. Should you be in the possession of such items, please send them to me at email@example.com